One of my big pet peeves is duplicated data. It clutters your data warehouse and takes up valuable storage space. I found myself running the centroid tool to create points from polygons so that I could symbolize them as such. This annoyed me so I spent some time finding another way.
So here are some easy steps to symbolize polygons as points:
1. Open the Layer Properties of the layer and go to the Symbology tab
2. On the left open the Quantities > Graduated symbols window
3. Then choose a Value field (it doesn’t matter what you choose)
4. Then select all the classes and right click > choose Combine Classes
5. This will then allow you to choose a point symbol to symbolize your polygons!